Fickle Matter

ideas that stink

Monday, May 28, 2007

I'm a Celebrity in Japan

Hey. I’m in Japan. After a sleepless 24 hours, we finally reached our hotel in Kyoto. We started the day with an amazing buffet breakfast (miso soup, scrambled eggs, bacon, and a bunch of Fear Factor stuff) and had a little sacrament meeting in one of the banquet rooms. Then we jumped on a bus and did a tour of the city.

Kyoto was one of the few cities that was purposely NOT bombed during WWII in an effort to protect some Japan’s oldest history. We did tours of Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines and Shogun castles.

We were guided by a little Japanese lady with a faded pink loofa on the end of a telescoping pole. The irony of being a tourist in Japan was not lost on me as our contingent of 40 were all gathered around taking photos in front of lily pads or other lame objects. I took over 150 photos the first day, and I dare say that 3 or 4 are worthy of showing anyone.

We ate Japanese food at a little restaurant, ate sushi that came off of a conveyer belt, enjoyed the squeaky floors of a medieval Shogun fortress (harder to sneak up on you if you have squeaky floors), drank from the fountain of youth, and spent a lot of money on Diet Coke.

The highlight of the day was by far the time I strayed from my herd and a couple of 12 year old school girls (they all go on field trips on Sunday) asked if they could take my picture. I said sure—any publicity is good publicity. They then called to the rest of their classmates who all came running over to take their picture with me. For a brief moment in time I was a rock star. This of course happened in front of my entire group who quickly nominated me the pedophile of the day. Glad I could be of service.



"Can we take picture?" "Sure"




"Let me get friends". "OK"




The finished product





The atrium of our hotel in Kyoto.




Entrance to a shogun palace




Buddhist gold-coated temple.




Would you buy a soda from this guy?




Shinto temple




Lots of lily pads




The trees are kind of weak in Japan and need supports




This is what I followed like a lemming for 6 hours.




Supposedly you drink this water and it gives you more youth. I just feel really tired though.




You got to choose your own sushi off of a conveyor belt. For some reason I chose raw squid. It was crunchy.

5 Comments:

  • At 5/28/2007 9:04 AM, Blogger Carrie Ann said…

    you CHOSE raw squid? What's wrong with you? Every picture is amazing. Is Japan so uniformly well-composed that you have a photo op at every glance? And way to go with the school girls. That's my boy! The wives look very American in their plaid capris. I would have dressed way cooler. I love you! Thank you for the pictures!

     
  • At 5/29/2007 10:19 AM, Blogger mo said…

    Yeah, I'm asking the same question about the raw squid. I can't even stomach cooked squid. But anyway, the whole experience looks so amazing and fun! Keep sending the pics!!!

     
  • At 5/30/2007 12:32 PM, Blogger Abby said…

    Wow.
    I thought you were kidding about the faded pink loofa. I am giggling that you had to follow that...that's humiliating. But I think Tommy Lee Jones looks sillier, if it makes you feel better. I so want to go be famous for a minute--or is it just boys they want? Was the country celebrating the win of Miss Universe? I love you in blog form--I'm thoroughly entertained.

     
  • At 5/31/2007 12:22 PM, Blogger Eldon said…

    What the hell are you doing in Japan?

     
  • At 8/13/2007 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the pictures are brilliant. Thank you for sharing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home